I finally made a Sewaholic Cambie! It’s been on my to do list for a while and my “make 52 items in 2016 challenge” means that I’ve actually completed it!
I bought Sewaholic Cambie a few years ago after I heard the sewing world raving about how great it was. It really is a beautiful dress and it has POCKETS. However, it did give me a few headaches. I haven’t sewn a lined dress before and the gathering required for the skirt was intense.
But I persevered and it’s completed and most importantly, it fits! I took a risk and didn’t make a muslin.I just cut and sewed the size 0. I’m not great at fitting clothes yet, so I’m glad it fits without alteration.
Technical details: (The boring stuff for me to refer to later…)
I used a yellow floral cotton voile from Spotlight, with a plain white cotton voile for the lining. I also used a 55cm polyester invisible zipper.
I got lost with the waistband and wasn’t sure why I didn’t cut one out of lining, and then realised I was supposed to use the material. I only used one lot of interfacing for the waist – which I’m glad. The seam allowances and gathering mean there is a lot of bulk already in the waist, and I don’t think it needs anymore.
Inserting an invisible zipper and then lining the dress was super scary, but made easier by the Sewaholic Cambie Sewalong giving me instructions.
If I make a Cambie again, I’ll probably give View A a go, or reduce the panels for the back, as it is a very full skirt. I’d also make sure my lining pieces are slightly smaller.
Overall, what doesn’t kill us, makes us better sew-ers and I love my Cambie dress. I can’t wait to wear it to a picnic, garden party, or even work. It’s adorable and feels like sunshine!