I’ve been thinking over the past few days that when it comes to baking, crafting and just general life, there are a few things I stick by. I don’t write much about myself, so here I am – the good, the bad, and some of the weird!
Here are a few rules that I, personally, have to bake, craft or live by, and also things that I’m trying to get better at…
- When a recipe asks you to use butter, I use butter! I prefer unsalted. (and probably the cheapest kind… I have a casual unpredictable job people!) Basically though, if a recipe says to use butter, use it. I never substitute for margarine. Eck. This girl? Butter snob, right here.
- Because of my slight CDO-ness (alphabetical order people!), I will follow the recipe. (This probably ties in a little with the above rule.) Especially my cupcake recipe. I use Crabapple’s vanilla recipe, and she has a very set way on how to make them. You know, add dry ingredients, followed by wet, followed by dry, followed by wet, and always ending with dry. Yeah, I like order, and I’ve found it works well for me.
- I’m an introverted baker & crafter. This means, I generally use baking or crafting to ‘revive’ and energize myself. This makes crafting/sewing/baking days difficult, as I try and work out how that many people are supposed to work together in small areas, but I’m getting better.
- I hate stealing material from other blogs. Therefore, I’ll try and link back to where I got ideas from/who posted the original recipe. It’s also why I complained when I found my blog material on another website. Others may take it as a compliment that they want to use their work. I say, if you want to use sections of it, cool… but please ask!
(For new bloggers, keep an eye out for news444. I have a feeling they just pull random blogs from all over the internet, possibly from an RSS feed, and publish on their site with a tiny, tiny, little link back. Thankfully, they do remove material as soon as you ask. Apparently setting your Reading settings to “Summary” can prevent them from taking it too. :)
- It’s so silly and superficial but I LOVE receiving comments. However, sometimes I forget to hand out comments myself to bloggers who I follow and inspire me to try new things.
- I love chocolate. I hate fruit. I’ll make an exception for watermelon.
- I attribute my love for craft now with a few books from my childhood. I’ve always been obsessed with the ability we have to make something from nothing. And what do you know? My favourite craft book when I was younger was called “Something from Nothing.” It opened me up to a world where matchboxes became doll’s furniture, and encouraged me to think differently and create my own stuff. This may have also lead me to hoard every little scrap of material now.
- I have a love/hate relationship with my camera. Some days I love it, and other days I wish it wasn’t so big, bulky and embarrassing. Other days I just doubt my ability.
- Perfectionist – if you didn’t catch on with that from number 2 & 8.
- I don’t claim to be fashionable, or love style. I just go my own way, and if that means I look like a grandma one day, Emma Pilsbury the next, or laying around in trackpants the day after, that’s the way it’ll be.
- I get so nervous right before I press the Publish button for every post – especially this one!