For February’s top, I took on three challenges.
- I made my first top for someone else. I’m so used to just pinning, sewing and fitting it onto myself, that I wanted to try and see if I could make something that would fit a friend of mine.
- I jumped into this project without a pattern. I used two dresses as a guide, particularly for the collar, but this was pretty much all me. Scary.
- I sewed with chiffon for the first time.
For these three reasons, it wasn’t a perfect success, but there was definitely some success in there!
I was limited with the amount of material that I had, and for ages, I didn’t know what I was going to do about the collar, as I had only been able to cut out one instead of two. A week or so of the half completed top just sitting there, I had inspiration… LACE COLLAR. I honestly don’t know why it took me so long to think of. I love it. Unfortunately, I gave it away to a friend. But now, they love it, and I can make my own when I get past the stress of this one. ;)
Notes for next time:
- Use more material! My button holes are funny, because I didn’t leave a big enough seam allowance. :(
- Using chiffon to bias bind = hell. Practise. Practise. Practise.
- Work out how to sew a collar properly. I tried to follow instructions, but somehow still got it wrong, and ended up hiding the raw edges by sewing the collar down… still works right?!